Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60

Hello,

  1. I didn't know. Hence the error messages it returned to me the first 2 or 3 times I tried...
  2. Well... Windows introduces very bad habits... I'm trying to migrate to Linux, but I am at the very beginning...
  3. I often have to use sudo, but it usually is in situations I fully understand what I have to do and what will happen.
    If I had known about 1 and 2, and took some more time to evaluate the danger, well... what is done is done...
  4. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = trouble...

Testdisk found the deleted partition which I undeleted by switching it from D to L (it's the 3rd logical partition), then I copied the backup table which was reported as OK on to the normal one that was reported as bad.

After reboot, the system has begun to check the disk and correcting errors. I hope it will do it correctly.

If not, well, I can go and buy lots of kleenex boxes...

When all is finished, I try to retrieve my Falcon disk once more, then I come back and report.

Thanks for helping,

J.-Luc

> Message du 20/07/15 20:20
> De : "Miro Kropáček" <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>
> A : "Jean-Luc CECCOLI" <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr>
> Copie à : "Thorsten Otto" <halgara@yahoo.de>, "mint@lists.fishpool.fi" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
> Objet : Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60

Jean-Luc,

you made several wrong assumptions:
  1. dd doesn't work on directories -- it works on handles, devices, files but not directories ... and it copies devices as whole (as an image), not file by file
  2. you can't access windows disk/directories like /dev/sda7/ ... first you have to mount the device/partition (/dev/sda7) somewhere so the kernel knows its filesystem and structure
  3. sudo really means "superuser operation", i.e. something you definitely shouldn't do as a normal (inexperienced) user ... it's not like windows uac which everyones just confirms without thinking
  4. you thought you'd be careful when typing the name of the disk with your precious data as you say
So you see, you tried something incredibly dangerous without proper advice/confirmation, that was really asking for trouble :-( Fingers crossed for your recovery attempt, though.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Yes, but $home refers to a place on the live usb dist, which I couldn't find afterwards. Or so I guess.

> Though I didn't write it in my previous post, I did try sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=/dev/sda7/Atari/recup.img conv=swab, but got an error message too.

> I think I didn't do it the right way... maybe ought I have replaced /dev/sda7 by something like /meida/jean-luc/ ?

> Testdisk has almost finished running, then I can see if I can retrieve my (precious) data or if I go and hang... then I try again with the Falcon disk.

> Thx,

> J.-Luc

> Message du 20/07/15 14:37
> > De : "Miro Kropáček" <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>
> > A : "Jean-Luc CECCOLI" <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr>
> > Copie à : "Thorsten Otto" <halgara@yahoo.de>, "mint@lists.fishpool.fi" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
> > Objet : Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

I typed sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=/dev/sda7/Atari/ conv=swab, but only got a message telling no such file or directory.

> > You got it nearly right -- you should have typed something like "sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=$HOME/atari.img conv=swab", i.e. write it to a file. /dev/sda7/Atari doesn't make sense -- sda7 is a partition, you can create directories on a filesystem only.

Always know what are you doing with tools like dd else you may end up with huge data losses!

--

MiKRO / Mystic Bytes

--

MiKRO / Mystic Bytes