Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT 1.15.1 beta 0.4

>Hi!
>
>I uploaded beta 0.4 to my page.
>
>I add a position save renaming algorithm for non VFAT partitions.
>It include also some bugfixes and hopefully the bootproblem is gone. So
>please test it.

 I've got some serious problems with this beta. I'll try to explain what
happends as good as I can.. :).

 Now, I've got Thing v1.27 on my E: partition, which is a NEWFATFS one
without VFAT enabled. After installing beta 0.4, I did some re-organizing
of my Thing setup, saved this, quit Thing and restarted. Thing then came
up with NO CONFIG at all, as it does when you first install it. I then
looked in THINGDIR to check thing.inf for a probable cause to this strange
behaviour, but NO THING.INF PRESENT!. Okie, then I set up Thing again,
pressed "save setup".... but no thing.inf appeared in the directory. Then
I tried to "load setup" and it actually loaded the setup! Now, where did
Thing actually find the file? Then I tried to copy an older thing.inf to
the thing-dir, and got the following error; Error while deleting file
e:/thingdir/thing.inf (TOS -36). Now I was really confused, as I couldn't
see thing.inf in the directory. I looked at the directory with bash (ls
-al) and Kobold in addition to Thing's directory window.

 Then I did a media-change on e: and did "save setup" once more. Now it
worked like it should. But when I did it twice, the same problems. Now I
tried to delete the thing.inf file before "save setup" and this worked.
I did try to turn off the write-back cache on e: without it affecting the
problem at all. Didn't try to turn off the NEWFATFS on it, tho.

 Another thing that happends with 0.4 is that if I try to start pppd after
a while, I get a real strange error from it that I've not seen before.
Here's a snip from ppp-log;

Dec 19 21:19:20 OzksTTbox pppd[93]: Serial connection established.
Dec 19 21:19:22 OzksTTbox pppd[93]: cannot link /dev/serial2 to PPP interface: out of memory
Dec 19 21:19:22 OzksTTbox pppd[93]: Exit.

This happends when chat has done it's job, and pppd is about to setup the
interface. Now, if I reboot (ctrl-alt+shft+del), this problem remains. If
I turn off the machine this problem goes away. But comes back after some
use of the machine. This means I have to start pppd as the 1st program
(almost) after restarting.

 I'm starting to think that  maybe some new stuff in the filesystem
routines, i.e., cache stuff mess up the memory-management routines in
someway... I don't know. But I do want to point out that this has never
happened in the earlier betas, which has alwasy been rock-steady.

 My system is a TT 4/32Mb ST/TT-ram, Crazy Dots w/15-bit module, nvdi 5.0,
 hddriver v6.30.

 I'm running beta 0.4 as I write/post this message, so it's not all bad
 ;-)

Btw, if this is not the right place to send this kind of messages, let me
know. I've been lurking around here for a while, but never actually posted
anything to it ;-)