Re: [MiNT] smail probs

On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 01:00:45PM +0100, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> > Whenever I start any smail instance (sendmail, runq, mailq, ...) from
> > the bash I get a bus error.  The same from tcsh runs fine.
> >
> > I had this problem about a year ago, it vanished and now it's back
> > again although I haven't changed anything important in my setup.
> >
> > Anybody has a similar problem?
>
> Most definitely, I've been bugging everyone on IRC with it. :) I have two
> similar problems:
>
> 1. When I do runq from ip-up it produces a buserror. I have always had
> this problem from the beginning on. Entering 'runq' in the shell works
> fine.

Well, I have solved my problem: I recently unset $TZ in my /etc/profile
(and forgot it in /etc/csh.cshrc) because I now use the tz database.
If $TZ is not set at all or set to an illegal (unparsable) value all
(KGMD-) smail instances crash with a bus error.

This is probably the solution for your ip-up problem.  Insert

	TZ=CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0,M10.5.0

into your ip-up script.

> 2. Since a few weeks, smtpd gives a buserror. This causes Pine to crash
> when it wants to put mail in my queue, and when an outside server wants to
> deliver mail to my system, the connection closes immediately. All other
> instances of smail work.

Maybe the same problem.  Maybe a wrapper script around /usr/lib/sendmail
(or /usr/sbin/sendmail, whichever is used) will do.  Rename your sendmail
to sendmail.wrapped and install this script as sendmail:

	#!/bin/sh

	TZ=CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0,M10.5.0
	export TZ
	exec sendmail $*

Anyway, I downloaded qmail and will try to get it to run.  If I have success
you will hear of it here.

BTW, if Pine doesn't call sendmail but talks to your smtpd via socket on
port 25 you have to put that wrapper script around your in.smtpd.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/
mailto:gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de

You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.