Re: [MiNT] Missing .so libs 'solution'?

> > > Good, so is that 'just' the binutils that needs to port more stuff
from
> > > some other m68k target that supports ELF?
> >
> > "The Guru" herwe would be Guido. Unfortunetly he sometimes "dissapears"
for
> > some ammounts of time, so I'll present what he presentet to me.
> >
> > ELF binaries do not require VM, but it is su-much-easier to add ELF
support
> > if there is aleready VM, so Guido told that he investigated that matters
and
> > told against adding ELF support without VM support first.
>
> I'd like to hear more details on this, please... Guido? Anybody?

IIRC ELF architecture uses some fixed adresses (program is loaded at fixed
address). I bet there can be a workaround (IIRC PPC Amigas uses ELF without
VM) but it does not sound as an easy one.

> > On the other hand we do not need ELF support for shared libraries, we
could
> > have a.out shared libraries. They do not need VM at all, bu tafter I
read
> > some things about a.out in Linux I am strongly against adding a.out
shared
> > libraries to MiNT (btw. Konrad once said that we would go for it).
>
> Well? So what is the problem there?

Time, and brave volounteer ;)

> > My vote is ELF and ELF shared libraries with VM, becouse that would give
us
> > standard way for that.
>
> I don't talk about votes but about real existing feature here. I don't
> want to wait until somebody brave enough does the BSD VM stuff port or
> something... I'd like to see the .so libs working anyhow.

That is not a good idea. Making it _anyhow_. Better make it good.

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl