Re: [MiNT] Current Binaries

Hi Petr,

Petr Stehlik wrote:
Francois LE COAT píše:

system ... All the required tools are useless to a common ATARI
developer, and unknown to a common ATARI machine owner
(administrator) ... You should understand that !

Well, too strong words IMHO. In fact the GCC suite _is_ available to
anyone (contrary to say PureC or Lattice C). The GCC is even available
for free. I know you have to get enough RAM and disk space but if you
got the hardware then it is possible to check out the CVS and build the
binaries. I managed to do that so others could do that as well - perhaps
with bit of help from the community. Of course that when too many people
start asking for GCC help it's easier to provide the binaries
(semi-)automatically.

You're right Petr. Access to latest freeMiNT requires the right soft
and hardware ... But furthermore it requires knowledge of the building
tools, terminal console usage, tricks because the Makefile doesn't
work right away ... A user or administrator of the freeMiNT OS doesn't
need all this hardware or knowledge ... There's a real gap ! Anyone
is not a freeMiNT guru, so long as there are people that could be
guru here ...

That's why a binary snapshot of your work is really required !

It's not *required* (you can't require anything from a volunteer) but it
would be useful for faster and better user feedback that in turn could
speed up the development.

Not only speedup the development, but make it available. *Required*
is not a real strong word. I'm trying to convince Frank ... Some
people from the list are ready to do the job. That's what I understood.

That can't wait for the irregular freeMiNT's kernel release ...
Your work can't be only available to a happy fews !

I happen to know Francois from ARAnyM list and so I believe that you
can't read this the way it might sound (offending? :).

At this point of the talk, it is really not offending for anyone.

Thanks Petr. You're a kind person.

Keep going !

Best regards,

-- François LE COAT
Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org