Re: [MiNT] freemint & xaaes release

Le Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:26:38 +0300
George Nakos <ggn@hol.gr> a _crit:

> >> What we should do is a MiNT loader for AUTO folder, where you select
> >> the kernel you want to load. So you don't have to mess with \auto
> >> folder content anymore when you update a MiNT kernel, and keep several
> >> MiNT kernels available.
>
> > That's indeed a good idea.
>
> > Someone volunter?
>
> Well if noone else wants it, I might hack a quick proggie in gfa basic or asm
> (depends on the mood ;) to do that. After Outline of course!
>
> So, what's the exact specs? Scan for mint*.prg in the auto folder, determine
> their version and display a list, so the user can select the kernel of choice
> and then pexec() the right kernel? Or is more fiddling with the \mint\ folder
> required?

Well, in fact I started writing one 2-3 years ago, and stopped as soon
as started :). What I was planning:
- Recursively scan [bootdrive]:\mint for mint*.prg binaries
- Configuration file with some extra directories to scan
  or simply a list of kernels to boot?
- Being able to add some parameters to the kernel on the command line
- In fact, a bit like what GRUB does for Linux

Also, I think we should have a single kernel for 020+ cpu, except for
mmu, fpu emulation and some drivers (!!), most of 020/030/040/060 kernel
should be the same. With the ct60, you need to reinstall the other
kernel when you switch between 030 and 060 mode.
Would it be hard to merge everything in a single binary?

--
Patrice Mandin
WWW: http://pmandin.atari.org/