Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib for ColdFire

Petr Stehlik wrote:
I understand that uninformed people feel like ColdFire is almost m68k
compatible so they think it will be easy to run their existing Atari
binaries on it. Unfortunately the problem is in the word
"almost" (compatible)

I totally agree with you. But the ColdFire is the only "modern" CPU of the m68k family, that's why it is seen as the only possible improvement by Atari-hardware enthusiasts. No rational arguments can change that.

> and that's why I prefer having real m68k emulation
(say as is in the ARAnyM) running on some fast CPU (no matter which one)
than focusing on the relatively slow ColdFire that will need the same
m68k emulation (if you really want to run the old binaries).

Be sure I personally have the exact same opinion. Since modern CPUs are *a lot* faster than original 6800x0, full compatibility is possible by rewriting a complete emulation layer. That's why I'm convinced that ARAnyM is and will remain the absolute best solution for running TOS software. For me, total virtualization is the most beautiful thing ever possible. But some people are frustrated if they can't feel the hardware under their fingers, and they cannot imagine typing on a keyboard connected to little-endian hardware... Things are like this.

--
Vincent Rivière