Re: [MiNT] keyboard.tbl / wiki addition / sparemint.org down?

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 14:59 +0200, J. F. Lemaire wrote:
> >> Exactly. And we wanted to make a release without RC :)
> >
> > And the daily builds have been running how long ?
> >
> > Just goes to show how little people use them.
>
> This is my perspective on the matter: I haven't been running the daily
> builds because the last time I tried I couldn't even get my Falcon to
> boot and I need it in a usable state and I don't have much time to
> spend on debugging the system. Now that a release is in the works, I
> gathered that things had settled in CVS and it was time for me to give
> them a try. And my Falcon boots just fine.

That's one of the reasons for daily builds. Things get fixed fast. If
your Falcon didn't boot one day, it's a pretty severe fault and would
have undoubtably been fixed a day (or few) later.

Bugs can creep in at any time, even in RC's. I think RC's work in larger
development communities to stop people committing huge new features.
Here we are a much much much smaller group of developers and I don't
think we bump into the same kinds of issues.

> That, for me, is the difference between daily builds and RCs. The
> former can be quite unusable for different and very valid reasons
> while the latter are supposed to be at least stable. To me, there is
> something "official" about the RC state that says: "you can go for it,
> it should be fine".

I can see people obviously like the "blessing of the code". I see things
differently being a developer, so I guess I need to be a little more
sensitive to the user base out there. But it's a two way street.

Alan.