Re: [MiNT] [?? Probable Spam] Re: 1.17 Release - Call for documentation updates !

Ehm, Paul, if you have no idea what those modules are for, better
reply "I don't know" then guessing from filenames and pretending it's
common fact.

>>> aranym.xfs - aranym specific filesystem
No, it's API for accessing host from Aranym and vice versa.
Experimental (?) clipboard feature is done in this way.

>>> nfosmesa.xdd - ARAnyM compiled with Mesa Open GL library
This isn't part of standard FreeMiNT tree, IIRC, it's API for accesing
OpenGL functions, I don't think it's Aranym specific.

>>> nfstderr.xdd - Native Features Standard Error redirector
Very explanatory! ;) It creates /dev/nfstderr, you can write to host
console via this device.

>>> nfetch.xif - Native Features ethernet interface
Creates "eth0" network interface under Aranym.

> These are (probably) loop-back drivers (may or may not be required for
> full SpareMiNT/GentooMiNT install)
>>> dummy.xfs
>>> dummy.xdd
>>> dummy.xif
No, they are skeletons for creating own modules. They do nothing, they
are completely useless in release package.

>>> audiodev.xdd - Audio devisce for ST/STE/TT/Falcon and XBIOS compatible sound hardware (not ARAnyM)
Creates /dev/audio, part of release should be also tool "actrl", which
demonstrates its abilities.

>>> dsp56k.xdd - not just Falcon only, anything with a DSP56k or provides DSP output (non-Falcon may also need zmagxsnd.pg).
BS, it's Falcon only. It creates DSP device for accesing DSP chip in
Falcon, it more or less mimics XBIOS interface.

>>> lp.xdd - standard parallel printer port driver
Creates /dev/lp, i.e. generic printer interface on parallel port.

>>> mfp.xdd - multi-function processor driver (not ST/STE/Mega)
Serial port driver for ST/TT, generally for devices equipped with MFP chip.

>>> scc.xdd - serial port driver
Serial port driver for devices equipped with SCC chip like Falcon,
MegaSTE, TT (IIRC).

>>> uart.xdd - (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter) device driver
Parallel port driver (difference to 'lp' is this is for communication,
'lp' is for output to printer)

>>> xconout2.xdd - standard console output redirector (v2 - used by all platforms)
Allows to catch any output to some desired place like TosWin console :)

>>> use of slip.xif, plip.xif and dial.xif are (probably) for modem
>>> related drivers, and may also require HSMODEM fix (depending on your
Total BS. It's the opposite, HSMODEM is superseded by mfp / scc / uart
xdd. SLIP and PLIP are well known communication protocols via serial
and parallel port, respectively. You definitely should use slip.xif
along with mentioned mfp / scc drivers. dial.xif is for PPP, i.e. yes,
modem dialing.

>> So if I don't use modem and dial up connection then I can skip, above
>> mentioned? If HSMODEM is required it should be mentioned somewhere also.
>
> Yeah, if you are using a network card to connect to the net you dont need these
Better said, if you don't plan to use any network consisting of
serial/parallel cables :) For example, for smaller files is Atari-PC
network via serial cable quite sufficient.

> The HSMODEM fix is according to the Atari hardware you have, should
> not be needed for non-Atari hardware, as this was usually fixed
As I mention above, you shouldn't use HSMODEM with FreeMiNT at all.

> For the correct XIF driver you need to compare the model and maybe
> model number to those available in the XIF folder
... or read READMEs.

> If you dont have a network card you will not need an XIF network
> driver (except maybe dummy.xif). inet4.xdd may be required for
> internet protocols, including localhost. other dummy drivers may be
> needed also.
dummy.xif is useless, inet4.xdd is needed by some services like logging daemon.

> There are some other drivers (XDD + XIF) available from Assemsoft,
> some included in the freemint-1.16.1-beta.tar.gz download, but I am
> not 100% on their need or use with 1-17, some may work:
> http://assemsoft.atari.org
If they were needed in 1.16, they are needed in 1.17 as well.
Personally, I have never used them.

> NOTE: most of the drivers have physically changed in 1-17
Yes? Which ones? Where comes this information from?

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org