Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT documentation

Dne Tuesday 27 July 2004 11:09 Adam Klobukowski napsal(a):

> As for destination format, it should be wordly and easy readable. So, lets
> point few possibilities:
>
> 1) info - mostly used in unix world. Not easy readable anywhere else. I do
> not think it is a good option.
> 2) man - the same problems as info (remember - not every FreeMiNT user, or
> even software developer that uses FreeMiNT wants a full blown unix setup)

hard to say, both format are native for unix world, but you are right not
every user can read it without toubles and with all comfort

> 3) pdf - we do not have good enough viewer on our platform :(

yes - xpdf is very slow and need X server, the Porthos is not free and who
know about MyPdf

> 4) hyp - this could be good and nice, but there are no viewers for it
> outside our world (or am I wrong?)

yes, you are. On windows there is WinGuide, which works great under wine on
Linux. There is app which runs on Macs too. What I am missing is console
based reader. But I think it could be easily done.

> 5) html - that is a best option in my opinion.Widely used, wery well
> dosumented, lots of tools avialible, we have good browser (Highwire), and
> most of all - every platform has a browser, so it would be easy readable
> everywhere.

html is not bad choice. Unfortunately HighWire doesn't run on my machine (yet)
so I it is not my favorite format for MiNT docs.

But I have another idea why not use udo or docbook. It is possible to export
various formats from theese. I know udo has some troubles with east (8859-2)
characters and we haven't docbook ported to our platform, but maybe thios is
the reason why to port it.

Jan
http://jaysoft.atari.org