Re: [MiNT] symlinks and hostfs

Frank Naumann píše v So 29. 08. 2009 v 14:35 +0200:
> Hello!
>
> >> The easiest way for the xfs is just to work in UTC and return UTC
> >> timestamps. The kernel do all conversion calculations for Fxattr() and
> >> Fstat64(), the xfs is not affected at all.
> >
> > Right. Now say New York FreeMiNT users without timezone set properly
> > will report us that the timestamp in HostFS is wrong by +6* hours. And
>
> And that means the HostFS and/or FreeMiNT are wrong? If the timezone is
> set incorrectly it's not task of the HostFS or any other xfs to correct
> such things ...

That means just one thing: if we just implemented that UTC we would be
facing numerous bug reports from upset users. They wouldn't understand
that, would send us with our timezone to /dev/null and would argue "if
it worked before why it doesn't work now".

> FreeMiNT can handle perfectly a real time clock running in localtime.

it wasn't a coincidence that I mentioned TOS and MagiC twice in previous
mails. Even a stock AFROS doesn't preset the timezone right - because it
doesn't know where in the world it will be run.

Frankly, ARAnyM configuration is not exactly user friendly and most
users don't even know how to format a hard drive. If I started telling
them about timezones they would just throw away the whole thing.

> Just a question of the right configuration at startup.

While I fully agree with you as a programmer and system administrator I
just cannot do that as the one that is signed under the ARAnyM releases
and tries to support the users.

> Don't know if you ever noticed this, but here in Germany we have a 1
> or 2 hour offset to UTC too...

Funny Frank, Czech Republic is sharing the same timezone with
Germany... :-)

Anyway, if we come up with an automatic working fallback for those
without timezones then I'll gladly enable the stat64.

Petr