Re: [MiNT] SV: Bug: xa_boot.log has unix line-endings

Hi,

On perjantai 23 marraskuu 2012, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
> > From: Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]
> > No, it is not the most comfortable solution. For me, using Qed in such
> > situation is way more comfortable.
>
> But not necessarily available. And it doesn't make sense to render the
> built-in fileviewer in TOS useless for purely philosophical reasons.

Regarless of line endings, TOS file viewer isn't a usable text viewer.

Besides being unusably slow, compared to RDD, TOS file viewer doesn't:
- have find
- go backwards, only forward
- understand LF line endings
- allow moving in doc by lines, it only pages
  (by scrolling line-by-line which makes it excruciatingly slow)
- have keyboard shortcuts to go to beginning and end of the document
- allow using mouse for moving in the document, just keyboard
  (in RDD, also moving mouse up and down scrolls the doc)
- allow going to a give line (number)
- scroll sidewise if text is too long for screen and allow switching
  between long lines and line wrapping or changing TAB width
- support text size toggling to see more content at the same time
- allow running external tools on the document (like text editor)
- allow switching character set in case text is in another encoding
- have hexdump view mode
- support bookmarks
- view multiple files
- view compressed and archived files

Anything missing the first 2 points is totally useless as text viewer.
Rest are just nice to have.

> I have a feeling that this is more about what's cool (if unix does it
> then it must be cool) than what's practical.

In light of above list, do you think your TOS text viewer usage
to be practical?

	- Eero