Re: [MiNT] symlinks and hostfs

On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 18:49 +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Alan Hourihane píše v So 29. 08. 2009 v 17:05 +0100:
> > > If we re-read this whole thread we find out that at the very beginning
> > > Vincent said that because "Fstat64() does not seem to be implemented in
> > > hostfs, we fall back in Fxattr()" and then questioned the "unused flag".
> > > Alan quickly jumped in and reported that "this is a bug in aranym. It
> > > uses it's own host_stat64()". This is where this thread got sort of
> > > interconnected with the parallel thread "stat() and blocks" because in
> > > that thread Alan said the same thing about HostFS :-)
> >
> > Excuse me, but what exactly did I say on the "stat() and blocks"
> > thread ??
>
> "It appears that hostfs doesn't implement fstat64".
>
> Seems like I confuse anything that ends with "64".
>
> > Getting back to my patch, it uses lstat() exclusively in all cases.
> > Using stat() will end up stat'ing the wrong file when symlinks are being
> > checked. This looks like a bug in ARAnyM to me
>
> I have tried to explain that it supposed to be a feature, not a bug. Did
> you read my explanation? Did it make sense?

I did read your explanation and it didn't make sense, but saying it's a
"feature" says it all. If that's the way it's meant to be, then no more
is to be done.

> > I've posted a patch to help demonstrate the problem with ARAnyM,
> > which cures the problem for me
>
> I didn't know you had a symlink problem as well. Can you please show me
> where the symlink pointed to? Was it outside of the mapped paths? And
> could you read the contents of the symlinked file before and after the
> hostfs.cpp patch? And last thing: could you please re-try that without
> ARAnyM patch with stock AFROS 8.12? It helped Vincent so I am wondering
> if it helped you, too.

Then, this problem isn't an issue if symlinks are never treated as
symlinks as it's a feature of aranym.

Move along, nothing to be seen here.

Alan.