Re: [MiNT] Install,was:All changes?

But it would need the links to download all the binaries, rpms, etc, and explicit examples for the config-files.

I agree.

Also keep in mind that this not the only way to do it.

I understand that it's not the only way, but the process described in the installation guide was not a way at all, because certain parts are outdated, whether or not I used Aranym. I think to update the guide you would need more than just one person describing what worked for him. To make the guide really good, it would have to be verified and tested and updated by more folks, ideally on different Atari configurations. I think good documentation would make the whole system (FreeMiNT included) more appealing to newcomers to the area.

Some use only hostfs for example.

In regards to my HostFS problem, maybe somebody with a similar setup (Aranym on Linux) could try to validate/disprove something? When I would ask rpm to install something from a HostFS aranym "disk", I would get this:

read failed: Success (0)
error: <package_name> cannot be installed

RPM would refuse to work in a similar way if the physical part of U:\ resided on HostFS. The host disk was formatted to ext2.

To make it work, I had to switch to a single partition mount image (http://wiki.aranym.org/manual#single_partition_mount) and ensure that the package I am installing is also on it.

Helmut, thanks for your response. I hope I am not being annoying. Just trying to help.

Of course an automated install would rule, but no one does it I guess.
You mean like EasyMiNT?